My husband suggested that I should use a dark border. I auditioned a few fabrics from my stash and my daughter chose the brown border. I added a light blue border before the brown border and overall I am quite pleased with the colour combination. It is now added to my bucket of quilt tops waiting to be quilted on my Avante when it arrives.
This baby quilt is going to someone who used to help me take care of my children when they were much younger. She just had a second baby and it is a boy. I hope she likes it. When she had her first baby, a girl, I quilted a baby quilt for her too. The pattern was Jacob’s Ladder. All the fabric in this quilt was from my scrap bins. I cut them down to small squares and sewed them up again to 4 patches.
This past weekend I was back to sewing Charlotte’s Baskets. I sewed half square triangles.
To make a quilt of about 80 inches x 90 inches, I need 252 2-inches HSTs unfinished. Once sewn into the block the HSTs measure 1 1/2 inches. My scrap bin is rather messy so I had to pick out fabric of more or less the correct size to sew up the HSTs. For some HSTs I used the Easy Angle ruler while for others I used Deb Tucker’s Tucker Trimmer. (you can see that in the pic) I prefer Deb Tucker’s method of constructing HSTs. The HSTs are constructed slightly bigger then trimmed down to size. Some people do not like this method as there is a small amount of waste but I like it as I have some buffer in case my 1/4 inch seam is not so accurate. I will report my progress as I go along.