August OMG Finish and Q3 FAL Finish

August has been a productive month in the quilting sense.  First to report, I accomplished my August OMG with 2 draw string bags.  The first was made using a tutorial from From My Carolina Home .  Carole’s draw string bag requires a plastic thingy, the type that is used when we do rug hooking.  I was not able to get this plastic thingy but I managed to purchase corrugated plastic sheet from a stationery shop.  I had thought of using paper cardboard but that would mean that I will not be able to wash my draw string bag.  The picture below shows my corrugated plastic sheet minus the 3 inches circle I cut out using scissors.  The 3 inches circle is meant to be the base of the bag.

Corrugated plastic

I am rather pleased with the resulting bag.

Draw string bag 1

I used a batik fabric with Christmas theme for the lining.  I fell in love with the fabric when I first saw it.  Brought it home and started washing it (I prewash all my fabric).  To my horror, the colours bled and they bled so badly that the fabric was smudged.  I had contemplated trashing the fabric but now I found a good use for it.  Hehee..

Draw string bag 1b

The rounded base really gives it shape.  My only complaint is that it is slightly small for my needs.  I had cut the circle using Creative Grid Circle Savvy ruler and the maximum diameter that can be cut from this ruler is 15 inches.

Circle Savvy ruler

After allowing for seam allowance, I am down to about 14 1/2 inches of diameter.  I have to think of another way to draw  and cut a bigger circle, approximately 18 – 20 inches in diameter.  Any suggestions?

I also made another draw string bag using the pattern written by Jeni from In Colour Order.  This draw string bag is much bigger and definitely allows me to put my stuff like handphone and wallet into the bag.  My only regret when I made this bag is that I did not use an interfacing for the exterior fabric.  I did fused an interfacing for the first bag and that gave it body.  Without the interfacing, this bag looks a little ‘flat’.  However I did have a ‘bottom’ for the bag using the corrugated plastic I bought.  See the 2 bags sitting side by side.

2 drawstring bags

Next up is the Cambodian quilt top.  It was a tough decision on whether to rip it out or not but in end I did and now we have 2 quilts.  This is my second finish for Q3 FAL.  One of the quilt measures 38 x 38 inches, just nice for a baby quilt.

Cambodian baby quilt'

and the other a small table topper measuring approximately 23 inches by 17 inches.

Cambodian Table Topper

This past week, I was invited by a colleague to his home for lunch.  Last minute, I decided to sew up a gift, a table runner based on a pattern I found on Craftsy by Vendulka.  She has some very pretty table runner patterns for sale.

I have lots of scraps, bonus triangles from previous projects, and I have been thinking of ways to use them.  I sewed these up to form HSTs and with these I constructed the centre of the table runner.  I then cut up strips of fabric from my fat quarters and whatever leftover fabric from previous projects.  See my progress as I auditioned my fabric and added the strips of fabric…

Audition of fabric-runner



After adding the last chevron round,


Chevron table runner process3.jpg

And finally the finished table runner on the console in the host home.


I have to say this is one of my fastest project so I should give myself a pat on the back.  LOL.  Most importantly the colleague and his wife love this.

I am linking up with Red Letter Quilt OMG, Let’s be Social and Mid Week Madness @ Quiltfabrication

Update:  I am linking up with 2016 Finish A-Long Q3 Finishes.  The quilt top from Cambodia, by Emmaus Women Centre was ripped out and sewn into 2 smaller quilts, the baby quilt and the table topper.  This was my goal for Q3


13 thoughts on “August OMG Finish and Q3 FAL Finish

  1. I am so impressed with your runne!r, made quickly, yet so beautiful! Congrats on all your finishes! I just cut circles for the smaller bag, using Carole’s suggestion to fold paper into quarters, then measre the radius from the point, ervery 1/2″ or so. I used freezer paper & pressed it on. That is how mine sits right now, another pile in the making!what is the spirit fabric?

    Liked by 1 person

    • Thank you for your kind comments. I am a relatively slow stitcher. I usually spend more than 1 week for small projects like the runner but for this one, I took about 2 nights and 1 afternoon. This includes piecing, quilting and binding.


  2. Pretty runner! Thanks for sharing it on Midweek Makers. As for drawing a bigger circle, try tying a string to a pencil, measure out the radius distance on the string, and trace out a circle with the string end tacked at the center of the circle.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. To be honest, as I saw your pictures of the tablerunner, I was wondering how it would all come together. Then I laughed out loud when I saw the finished project! It’s so pretty and that center square totally pops! The pink with white dots fabrics brings it all together. The browns and blues play so nicely together! You so ROCK with color choices! You are courageous! One day I will be able to chose fabrics that play so nicely together! Fabulous tablerunner. I’m pinning this one! Thank you so much for sharing and teaching me about color choices! 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Pingback: December OMG completed | The Bias Edge

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s