August has been a productive month in the quilting sense. First to report, I accomplished my August OMG with 2 draw string bags. The first was made using a tutorial from From My Carolina Home . Carole’s draw string bag requires a plastic thingy, the type that is used when we do rug hooking. I was not able to get this plastic thingy but I managed to purchase corrugated plastic sheet from a stationery shop. I had thought of using paper cardboard but that would mean that I will not be able to wash my draw string bag. The picture below shows my corrugated plastic sheet minus the 3 inches circle I cut out using scissors. The 3 inches circle is meant to be the base of the bag.
I am rather pleased with the resulting bag.
I used a batik fabric with Christmas theme for the lining. I fell in love with the fabric when I first saw it. Brought it home and started washing it (I prewash all my fabric). To my horror, the colours bled and they bled so badly that the fabric was smudged. I had contemplated trashing the fabric but now I found a good use for it. Hehee..
The rounded base really gives it shape. My only complaint is that it is slightly small for my needs. I had cut the circle using Creative Grid Circle Savvy ruler and the maximum diameter that can be cut from this ruler is 15 inches.
After allowing for seam allowance, I am down to about 14 1/2 inches of diameter. I have to think of another way to draw and cut a bigger circle, approximately 18 – 20 inches in diameter. Any suggestions?
I also made another draw string bag using the pattern written by Jeni from In Colour Order. This draw string bag is much bigger and definitely allows me to put my stuff like handphone and wallet into the bag. My only regret when I made this bag is that I did not use an interfacing for the exterior fabric. I did fused an interfacing for the first bag and that gave it body. Without the interfacing, this bag looks a little ‘flat’. However I did have a ‘bottom’ for the bag using the corrugated plastic I bought. See the 2 bags sitting side by side.
Next up is the Cambodian quilt top. It was a tough decision on whether to rip it out or not but in end I did and now we have 2 quilts. This is my second finish for Q3 FAL. One of the quilt measures 38 x 38 inches, just nice for a baby quilt.
and the other a small table topper measuring approximately 23 inches by 17 inches.
This past week, I was invited by a colleague to his home for lunch. Last minute, I decided to sew up a gift, a table runner based on a pattern I found on Craftsy by Vendulka. She has some very pretty table runner patterns for sale.
I have lots of scraps, bonus triangles from previous projects, and I have been thinking of ways to use them. I sewed these up to form HSTs and with these I constructed the centre of the table runner. I then cut up strips of fabric from my fat quarters and whatever leftover fabric from previous projects. See my progress as I auditioned my fabric and added the strips of fabric…
After adding the last chevron round,
And finally the finished table runner on the console in the host home.
I have to say this is one of my fastest project so I should give myself a pat on the back. LOL. Most importantly the colleague and his wife love this.
I am linking up with Red Letter Quilt OMG, Let’s be Social and Mid Week Madness @ Quiltfabrication
Update: I am linking up with 2016 Finish A-Long Q3 Finishes. The quilt top from Cambodia, by Emmaus Women Centre was ripped out and sewn into 2 smaller quilts, the baby quilt and the table topper. This was my goal for Q3